About one in every four adult persons has high blood pressure, which is also known as hypertension , which is a major risk factor for heart & kidney diseases , stroke , & heart failure. High blood pressure is very dangerous, because it usually gives no warning signs or warning symptoms. Fortunately, one can find out if one has high blood pressure by having one’s blood pressure checked regularly. If it is high, one can take steps to lower it. Just as necessary, if one’s blood pressure is normal, one can learn how to keep it from getting high.
One can prevent high blood pressure by:
1):- By maintaining a healthy weight: Being overweight or obese can make one two to six times more likely to have high blood pressure than if one is at one’s desirable weight. Even bit amounts of weight loss can make a huge difference in helping to prevent & treat high blood pressure.
2):- By getting regular exercise : Persons who are physically more active have a very less risk of getting high blood pressure — 19% to 51% lower — than persons who aren’t active. One does not have to be any marathon runner to get benefit from physical activity. Even any light activity, if done every day, can help in lowering one’s risk.
3):- By reducing salt intake: Usually, when persons with high blood pressure reduces their salt intake, their blood pressure falls so much. Cutting back on salt prevents blood pressure from rising a lot.
4):- By drinking alcohol in moderation, if at all: Drinking overmuch alcohol can raise one’s blood pressure. To help prevent the blood pressure from rising, one should limit how much alcohol one drink. One should not take more than two drinks (in very small portions) a day. The “Dietary Guidelines for Americans” has recommended that for their whole/overall health, women should limit their alcohol intake to no more than one drink (a very small portion) a day.
5):- By reducing stress: Stress is the major factor which makes blood pressure go high, & over time (work) also contributes to the cause of high blood pressure. There are so many steps one can take to reduce one’s stress. Read artucvles about it. Read books, listen music, join gym, make new friends, interact, and make more friends.
6):- Nutrients help in preventing high blood pressure: Here is the list:
- Potassium: Eating the things which are rich in potassium help in protecting people from having high blood pressure. One probably can get enough potassium from one’s diet, so any supplement is not necessary (& it could be dangerous without any doctor’s oversight). Lots of fruits, vegetables, dairy foods, & fish are the great sources of potassium.
- Calcium: Persons with low calcium intakes have high chances of developing high blood pressure. However, it hasn’t been proven that taking calcium tablets prevents high blood pressure. But it is necessary to be assured that ine is getting at least the recommended amount of calcium — 1,000 milligrams every day for adults 18 to 50 years old & 1,200 mg for those over 50 ( pregnant & breastfeeding women as well need more) — from the foods one eats. Dairy foods such as low-fat milk, yogurt, & cheese are good sources of it. Low-fat & nonfat dairy products have even more amount of it than the high-fat types.
- Magnesium : A diet which is low in magnesium may make one’s blood pressure rise. But doctors do not recommend taking some extra magnesium to help in preventing high blood pressure — the amount one get in a healthy diet is sufficient. It is found in whole grains, nuts, green leafy vegetables, seeds, dry peas & beans.
- Fish oils: A kind of fat known as “omega-3 fatty acids” is found in fatty fish like mackerel & salmon. Large amounts of it may help in reducing high blood pressure, but its role in prevention is bit unclear. Taking fish oil pills isn’t recommended, as high doses can cause some unpleasant side effects. Many fish, whether not fried or made with added fat, is somehow low in saturated fat & calories & can be eaten usually.
- Garlic: There has been few evidence to suggest effect of garlic in lowering blood pressure, in addition to improving cholesterol & reducing some cancers. Morwe researches are being conducted to fully assess it’s potential health benefits.
The most important thing is to measure blood pressure daily and always talk to your doctor prior taking dietary supplement or any alternative herbal treatment